Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review of "Girl" by Jamaica Kincaid

I enjoyed reading “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid. Some of the guidelines the mother gives to the daughter are important for her to become a decent lady in the future. She is a little harsh when she is instructing her daughter on how to hem a dress “to prevent yourself from looking like the slut I know you are so bent on becoming”. I assumed these guidelines were given to the daughter throughout her entire life. Telling a young child that she’s intent on becoming a slut is not a great way to approach that subject. If I were to tell my child not to become a slut, I would first have to explain what a slut is. That is definitely not going to happen, not a conversation I’d like to have any time soon! Even if the child was old enough to know what that meant, then it would probably be rough on her self esteem.



As a mother, I am constantly instructing my children on how to do things, when to do them, why to do it a certain way, etc. This story connects with my motherly side. I have 2 boys, so the instructions are quite a bit different but they still exist on a daily basis, especially with my 5 year old. If I’m not instructing, he’s asking.


The story dates itself with some of the instructions the mother gives. Present day, the woman of the house typically works a full-time job, and does not have time for the same things women used to do such as sewing, baking, ironing, etc. I was fortunate to have a mother who taught me all those things but I sew only if a button falls off, usually 6 months later; I bake at Christmas only, sometimes birthdays; I iron if I really have to, like when the dryer won’t take out the bad wrinkles. Things have changed since this young girl was being “trained” by her mother.


The lessons the mother is teaching the daughter are all valuable, necessary life lessons that she will find useful in adulthood. I’m thankful that my mother provided me with the knowledge that she has, as will this young girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment